Here is some information about the Federal RDAP ProgramIt is the only Federal Bureau of Prisons program that will enable prisoners to get a reduced sentence. RDAP stands for Residential Drug Abuse Program. It is only available for federal prisoners who can prove that they have a drug or alcohol problems.

Who can Qualify for the RDAP Program?

Only inmates that are in a federal prison with all security levels, except those in high security, can qualify for the program if they can prove that they have an addiction to illegal substances. After the program is completed, the inmates can become eligible to get early release to a maximum of twelve months from their original sentence, and they will be transferred to an extended home or halfway house placement of six months during the end of their sentence. Home confinement begins at the end of the sentence.

If you are curious as to how much time can be reduced from the original sentence, it depends on the length of the sentence.  Federal prisoners that are serving a minimum of 37 months can get a full 12-month reduction.  If an inmate is serving sentences between 31 and 36 months then the potential sentence reduction can be as much as 9 months and finally inmates that have less than 31 months on their sentence can get their term reduced to six months.  There are no guarantees that an inmate will get these reductions as described and the average sentence reduction is 9 months.

If an inmate is charged with sexual abuse or violent crime then they will not be eligible for RDAP.  They will be disqualified will include misdemeanor or felony convictions of rape, robbery, sexual child abuse and assault.  In addition, if they are convicted of a crime that involves a weapon or firearm, as well as related violent crimes are also disqualified from the RDAP program.  If an inmate also has pending state warrants, detainers or are facing charges will not be eligible for the time off program as well.

A federal prisoner must be able to prove that they have a prescription drug, narcotics or alcohol abuse problem and be able to present that proof within the Present Investigation Report.  The RDAP staff will then review the information provided by the inmate.  At times, when the PSR does not include this information due to the lack of accuracy or the information is incorrect from the counsel.  If that happens to be the case then the inmate must update the PSR and to do so they will have to ask for documents that can verify the substance abuse from a treatment facility or provider and they can also request the information from a probation officer.  The documents must show that there is a diagnosis and treatment a year before the sentence is set to be served.

Once that is completed, the inmate will need to pass a formal clinical interview that is conducted by the Drug Abuse Program Coordinator of that specific facility.  The DAPC will have to check the background and the documents and any other data that will be accessible that can support the diagnosis.

There is not a shortage of applications for the federal RDAP program and as a result only a small percentage of inmates that apply will be accepted.  The amount of open slots for the program are very limited and that is why the BOP limits the amount of inmates can join and that is also why the inmate must be able to provide all of the correct documentation.

Click on RDAP to learn more or call Larry Levine today at 855-577-4766