Federal Probation Report

(PSR) Evaluations

Federal Courts use Federal Probation Reports known as a PSR to determine how much time to sentence defendants. The Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) relies heavily on PSRs as their 100% Bible on the Defendant. A PSR record determines everything about defendants’ custody & security classification. The BOP uses it to determine program eligibility on the following. The RDAP Early Release Program, halfway house, community custody placement and issuance of Good-time based on inmate’s educational records. Defendant’s PSR are maintained by the BOP at the DSCC in Grand Prairie, Texas and at an institutional level.

After a defendant’s found guilty by plea agreement or loss at trial, the Judge will issue Probation an order for a PSR. Probation Officers (PO’s) assigned to U.S. Pre Trial Services meet with Defendants and conduct a (PSI) Pre Sentence Investigation. P.O’s ask Defendants questions regarding family, personal matters along with educational military, employment and medical history.

A Pre-Sentencing Report also known as a PSR is then derived from the PSI. The PSR is what a Judge uses in conjunction with the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines to determine the Defendant’s sentence. Past criminal history and current offense determine a sentencing range and how many months a defendant’s federal prison sentence could be.

The biggest problem with PSR’s is they’re frequently wrong. They often contain inaccurate records regarding past criminal history and convictions. Some Probation Officers mistakenly add criminal history points based on prior uncounseled guilty pleas. A Defendant whose criminal history category is mis-classified, is exposed to an increase in the amount of months they could be sentenced.


Although we cannot and will not make decisions for clients, we do bring relevant information to their attention that their lawyers, or most likely their paralegal may have over-looked that could have serious implications regarding the amount of time they end of being sentenced to, or being hit monetary fines or restitution.

Call (855) 577-4766 and speak to a Prison Consultant now. Let us help you make educated decisions on your legal issues.